Rudolf Jakob Simonis Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes material on the Simonis family, including an album containing vital documents, military service and citizenship papers, prayerbooks, and festive notes; photos of family members; family history and correspondence on genealogy and other topics. Correspondence includes letters from Leo Baeck, Alfred Ballin, Hugo Bergmann, Berliner Zionistische Vereinigung, Arthur Czellitzer, Heinrich von Friedberg, Jacob Javits (about Heinrich Eduard Jacob), Reichsbund juedischer Frontsoldaten, Berlin, and Emperor Wilhelm II.
The collection includes genealogical notes for four hundred Jewish families from Sweden, Berlin, and northern Germany, covering the period from the sixteenth through the twentieth century. Also included are manuscripts and clippings; special issues of newspapers, including memorial numbers for personalities and anniversary issues for German-Jewish organizations; and research notes on famous Jewish individuals, Zionism, the Jewish Question, and Jewish communities in Germany and elsewhere, including copies of pre-emancipation lists of tolerated Jews. The Addenda contains a booklet about the creation of state lottery in Hamburg: 350 Jahre Staatslotterie.
Note that the Box 6 folder count starts over with each new series.
- Creation: undated, 1700s-1960s
Language of Materials
The collection is in German, Swedish, and Yiddish.
Open to researchers.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
Born in Berlin on September 13, 1893, the genealogist Rudolf Simonis emigrated to Sweden in 1937 and died in Stockholm on December 17, 1965.
12 Linear Feet
This collection includes material on the Simonis family as well as genealogical notes for four hundred Jewish families from Sweden, Berlin, and northern Germany, covering the period from the sixteenth through the twentieth century.
This collection is arranged in 15 series.
- Series I: Family Trees, undated
- Series II: Genealogical Notes about Jewish Families, undated
- Series III: Genealogical Essays and Lectures, undated
- Series IV: Genealogy Files About Families - Group 1, undated, 1930s
- Subseries I: General, undated
- Subseries II: Rudolf Simonis Families, 1930s
- Subseries III: Death Certificates, undated
- Series V: Genealogy Files About Families - Group 2, undated, 1936-1960
- Series VI: Genealogy Files About Families - Group 3, undated
- Series VII: Genealogy Files About Families - Group 4, undated, 1813-1976
- Series VIII: Simonis Photograph Collection, undated
- Series IX: Simonis Family History, undated
- Series X: Clippings, undated, 1929-1935
- Series XI: Places, undated
- Subseries I: Outside Germany, undated
- Subseries II: Places Inside Germany and Scandinavia, undated
- Subseries III: Manuscripts / Places, undated
- Series XII: Jewish Personalities, undated
- Series XIII: Manuscripts and Bound Volumes, undated, 1930-1940s
- Series XIV: Varia, undated, 1700s-1922
- Series XV: Oversized Material, undated, 1800s
Collection is available on 13 reels of microfilm (MF 551).
- Reel 1: Box 1: Complete inventory to Box 2: I. Ahnentafeln N-Z: Simon, Lotte
- Reel 2: Box 2 (cont.): I. Family Trees N-Z: Simonis, Else to Box 3: II. Genealogical Notes G-S: Scheyer
- Reel 3: Box 4: II. Genealogical Notes S-Z: Schiff to III. Genealogical Essays and Lectures: Stamtavla…
- Reel 4: Box 4 (cont.): III. Genealogical and Lectures : Nathanson to Box 5: Folder 5-46: Duckesz, Rabbiner Eduard
- Reel 5: Box 5 (cont.): Folder 5-47: Else, Marie to Box 6: Folder 2: Drafts of finished family research: Zadig
- Reel 6: Box 6 (cont.): Folder 3: Personal family letters to Series 9, Folder 2: Various letters and charts…
- Reel 7: Box 6 (cont.): Series 10: Clippings to Box 7: Series V: Sweden
- Reel 8: Box 7 (cont.): Series V: Scandinavia to Series VI: Horowitz, Maximilian
- Reel 9: Box 7 (cont.): Series VI: Fischer, Joseph to Box 8: XIII: Bound Volumes. Band V
- Reel 10: Box 8 (cont.): XIII: Bound Volumes. Nationalsozialistiche… from Apr. 1930 to Bound Volumes: Newspaper Clippings in the 1940s
- Reel 11: Box 9: XIV. Varia. Folder 1 to XIV. Varia. Folder 10
- Reel 12: Box 9 (cont.), Series XI, Object 1 to Box 11, Item 1
- Reel 13: Box 11 (cont.), Item 2 to Box 12, Item 3
- Rudolf Jakob Simonis Collection, 1700s-1960s AR 7019 / MF 551
- Processed by LBI Staff
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- September 2010:: Links to digital objects added in Container List.
- 2010-09-15 : encoding of linking to digital objects from finding aid was changed from <extref> to <dao> through dao_conv.xsl