Guide to the Records of Sepharad 1992
Scope and Content Note
This collection documents the events surrounding Sepharad ’92. These include clippings in newspapers from around the world that provided coverage of events related to commemoration of the events taking place. It also includes the correspondence between the events organizers and other organizations, of particular interest is a folder devoted to the efforts of the Spanish government and the World Sephardi Federation at reconciliation. The topic of Jewish expulsion from Spain and subsequent migration to Turkey is a subject covered throughout the bulk of the collection. Material related to this topic includes teaching material, museum program guides, lectures, and articles.
- Majority of material found in 1990-1992
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
Collection is open to researchers.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
American Sephardi Federation, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
In 1992, the World Sephardi Federation created Sepharad ’92 an international Jewish committee to commemorate the five-hundredth anniversary of the Jewish expulsion from Spain as part of the Spanish Inquisition. The committee, headquartered in New York City, developed programs that sought to educate the public through a variety of approaches about the expulsion and the relocation of Spain’s Jewish population throughout the world. Such programs included educational curriculum, exhibitions, interfaith gatherings, concerts, and conferences. The committee with assistance from Tel Aviv University began the reconstruction of the medieval Jewish quarters in Barcelona, Gerona, and Seville in addition to the school of translators in Toledo. In celebrating the return of many Jews to Spain, the committee sought to honor the contributions of Jews to Spanish culture and to commemorate their expulsion.
1.0 Linear Feet
This collection documents the events surrounding Sepharad ’92, an event and an international Jewish committee to commemorate the five-hundredth anniversary of the Jewish expulsion from Spain as part of the Spanish Inquisition. The committee, headquartered in New York City, developed programs that sought to educate the public through a variety of approaches about the expulsion and the relocation of Spain’s Jewish population throughout the world. Such programs included educational curriculum, exhibitions, interfaith gatherings, concerts, and conferences.
The arrangement of this collection has been imposed by the archivist do to the received state of the material. There were several labeled folders of material upon receipt of the collection; these original folders have been maintained in this arrangement. The remaining material was unorganized upon receipt and subsequently arranged based on intellectual content. The material is arranged by record type and content in alphabetical order.
- Angel, Marc
- Ben-Ami, Shlomo
- Cipolla, Gaetano, 1937-
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Coalition for the Advancement of Jewish Education
- Comisión Nacional del Quinto Centenario del Descubrimiento de América (Spain)
- Gerona (Spain)
- Goodman, Jerry
- Güleryüz, Naim
- Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America
- Hessel, Carolyn Starman
- Hevraiko Mouseio Hellados
- Historical maps
- Idel, Moshe, 1947-
- Israel, Steve
- Istanbul (Turkey)
- Jakobovits, Immanuel, Sir, 1921-1999
- Jews -- Italy -- History
- Jews -- Spain -- History -- Expulsion, 1492
- Jews -- Spain -- Migrations
- Jews, Spanish
- Kordova, Lea-Nora
- Labovitz, Annette
- Labovitz, Eugene
- Magazines (periodicals)
- Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture
- National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council (U.S.)
- New York (N.Y.)
- Pisar, Samuel
- Press releases
- Programs (documents)
- Quincentennial Foundation of Istanbul
- Sassoon, Anne, 1943-
- Schweid, Eliezer
- Sepharad '92
- Sicily (Italy)
- Sugar, Robert
- World Sephardi Federation
- Guide to the Records of Sepharad '92, undated, 1987-1997 (bulk 1990-1992) ASF AR 25
- Processed by Michael D. Montalbano
- © March 2010.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- as part of the Leon Levy Archival Processing Initiative, made possible by the Leon Levy Foundation
- Edition statement
- This version was derived from Sepharad1992.xml