Jewish Center of Bayside Hills Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of legal documents, newspaper clippings, photographs and negatives which includes draft copies of the center’s 1953, 1960, 1964 constitution, a 1954 membership roster, newspaper clippings regarding the sale of the building and center ephemera. The photographs and negatives are mainly from the 1950s and encompass the inaugural meeting, the center’s first birthday celebration, a holy service, men’s club meeting, the building dedication ceremony, an election forum, and entertainment events.
- Engler, Samuel (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Deputy Director, Chair of Collections and Engagement of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility.
Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:
American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
The Jewish Center of Bayside Hills was founded in 1952 by young couples settling in the area after WWII. The first location in 1952 was a small storefront on Bell Blvd in Bayside. Subsequently, the congregation moved to a larger storefront on 48th Avenue, before the synagogue was constructed a block away, also on 48th Avenue.
The center included a Hebrew school, a sisterhood and a men’s club. The center was formally affiliated with the U.S. Synagogue of Conservative Judaism in 1962. In 2005, with only 75 members left, they combined with the Jewish Center of Bayside Oaks to become the Jewish Center of Oak Hills.
.25 Linear Feet (1 half manuscript box)
The Jewish Center of Bayside Hills was founded in 1952 by young couples settling in the area after WWII. These records consist of draft constitutions, newspaper clippings, photographs, and negatives. The photographs encompass the inaugural meeting, the building dedication ceremony, an election forum, and entertainment events.
The collection is arranged into one series.
Located in AJHS New York, NY
Donated by Samuel Engler, 4/30/2013.
- Bayside (New York, N.Y.)
- Black-and-white negatives
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Engler, Samuel
- Jewish Center of Bayside Hills (Bayside, New York, N.Y.)
- Jewish community centers
- Legal documents
- Printed ephemera
- Queens (New York, N.Y.)
- Synagogues -- Membership
- Synagogues -- Organization and administration
- Guide to the Records of the Jewish Center of Bayside Hills, Undated, 1952-2005 I-595
- Processed by Kristiana Weseloh
- © 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
Part of the American Jewish Historical Society Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States