Mount Sinai Hospital (New York, N.Y.) Records
Scope and Content Note
The Mount Sinai Hospital Records document the effort to establish a Jewish hospital in New York City, as well as chronicle the founding and growth of Mount Sinai Hospital (originally named the Jews' Hospital in New York) as it developed from a small hospital only able to accommodate 45 patients, into one of the largest teaching hospitals in the United States. Along with the material dating from 1851 to 1852 pertaining to the establishment of the Jews' Hospital (mostly fundraising efforts), the collection also includes material relating to the opening of all three of the Hospital's locations in Manhattan. Annual reports comprise the majority of the collection, but there are also clippings, minutes, invitations, pamphlets, programs, and publications. Of special note are two folders of compiled memos written by Mount Sinai Hospital staff while serving overseas during World War Two.
- Majority of material found within 1870 - 1976
- Mount Sinai Hospital (New York, N.Y.) (Organization)
The collection is open to all researchers, except items that may be restricted due to their fragility, or privacy.
No permission is required to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection, as long as the usage is scholarly, educational, and non-commercial. For inquiries about other usage, please contact the Director of Collections and Engagement at email@example.com.
For reference questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mount Sinai Hospital was incorporated as the Jews' Hospital in New York on January 14, 1852 for "benevolent, charitable, and scientific purposes." Founders of the Jews' Hospital included philanthropist Sampson Simson and Jacques Judah Lyons. The Hospital's first building was a four-story building with 45 beds located at 138 West 28th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues in Manhattan. It opened to the public on May 17, 1855. During the American Civil War, the Hospital opened its wards to Union soldiers and extra beds and personnel were added to accommodate the war patients. Following the Civil War, in 1866, the name of the hospital was changed to Mount Sinai Hospital to reflect its mission to serve its community regardless of race or religion.
As immigration to New York City increased in the second half of the 19th century, hospital services also increased. Needing more space and bed capacity, the Hospital moved to a new building in 1871. The new hospital had 120 beds and was located on Lexington Avenue, extending from 66th to 67th Streets. During the 1870s, the Hospital established an Outdoor Dispensary with four divisions: Medical, Surgical, Gynecological, and Children's. It also established inpatient Medical and Surgical Services, an inpatient Gynecological Department, an inpatient Children's Department, and an Eye and Ear Service.
The 1880s saw the establishment of the Mount Sinai Hospital Training School for Nurses (renamed the Mount Sinai Hospital School of Nursing), the development of the Hospital's library, and an addition of another 70 beds to the Hospital. As the turn of the century approached, the Hospital once again outgrew its bed capacity. A new site was purchased on Fifth Avenue in the East Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan. Ten original buildings were planned with a capacity of 456 beds. The new hospital building was dedicated on March 15, 1904.
In the first half of the 20th century, the Hospital added many new departments and services including the Department of Dietetics (1905), the Social Service Department (1906), the Otological Service (1909), the Dental Department (1910), the Physical Therapy Department (1910), the Psychiatry Clinic (1920), the Occupational Therapy Department (1924), the Metabolism Clinic (1924), and the Neurosurgical Service (1932). The Hospital also established post-graduate medical instruction and it became officially affiliated with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University in 1923. Another key affiliation was formed in 1936 with the Neustadter Home, a convalescent care facility in Yonkers, New York. During World War One and World War Two, the Hospital also established military hospitals abroad and staff from Mount Sinai Hospital served in the Armed Forces, many in medical capacities.
During the last half of the 20th century, Mount Sinai Hospital continued to grow and in 1963 the Mount Sinai School of Medicine (now called the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai) was chartered. In 1968, the Mount Sinai Medical Center was formed between four institutions: Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Nursing, and the Neustadter Convalescent Center. The 1980s saw more expansion for the Medical Center with the addition of the Guggenheim Pavilion, a massive building designed by I. M. Pei. As of 2014, the Medical Center comprises numerous buildings between Fifth and Park Avenues from 98th to 102nd Streets, as well as numerous affiliations throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Mount Sinai Hospital Annual Report, 1941; Mount Sinai Hospital Records; I-37; box 2; American Jewish Historical Society, New York, NY, and Boston, MA.
"Who We Are." Mount Sinai Hospital. Accessed August 19, 2014. http://www.mountsinai.org/about-us/who-we-are
2.25 Linear Feet (4 manuscript boxes and 1 half manuscript box)
Language of Materials
The Mount Sinai Hospital Records document efforts to establish a Jewish hospital in New York City and the subsequent founding and growth of that hospital, the Jews' Hospital in New York, later renamed Mount Sinai Hospital. The Mount Sinai Hospital became one of the largest teaching hospitals in the United States. Included in the collection are annual reports, clippings, minutes, invitations, pamphlets, programs, publications. Of special note are two folders of compiled memos written by Mount Sinai Hospital staff while serving overseas during World War Two.
Located in AJHS New York, NY
Portions of the collection were donated to AJHS in separate accessions dating from 1894-1949. These include the Program for the Inauguration of the Jews' Hospital, donated by Clarence S. Nathan in 1894, and three other donations of annual reports and the newsletter, Mount Sinai News, in 1935, 1947, and 1949. The names of the donors were not recorded. It is not known how and when the remainder of the collection was acquired by AJHS.
The Adolphus Solomons Jews' Hospital Honorary Membership Certificate, 1852, has been moved to the Adolphus Simeon Solomons Papers (P-28). The certificate is located in Box OSF1, Folder 1.
The collection was previously partially processed and a box list was created, date and author unknown. In 2014, the collection was reboxed and refoldered and .25 linear feet of out of scope material was discarded.
- Guide to the Mount Sinai Hospital Records (New York, N.Y.), 1851-1994
- Processed by AJHS staff and Patricia Glowinski.
- © 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Processed as part of the Leon Levy Archival Processing Initiative, made possible by the Leon Levy Foundation.
- December 2014.: An addition of one reel of microfilm from the AJHS Microfilm Collection was incorporated into Series I: Subject files by Patricia Glowinski.
- December 2020: RJohnstone: post-ASpace migration cleanup.