Skip to main content

Papers of Robison Family

 Collection
Identifier: P-678

Scope and Content Note

The Robison Family Papers reflect various activities of Adolf C. and Ann Green Robison, both together and individually, in civic organizations, Jewish communal life, Jewish national and international affairs and individually in the arts.

The collection is valuable to researchers studying Jews in the textile industry; Jews in journalism, music, and playwriting; Jews involved in philanthropy; the origins of the United Nations; aid to Israel before, during, and after the War of Independence; the activities of the National Council for Jewish Women and the International Council of Jewish Women from the 1960's through the 1980's; the Jewish community in Teaneck, New Jersey; and advisory and fundraising efforts on behalf of Fairleigh Dickinson University. It also provides a comprehensive picture of the life of an active Jewish woman, whose activities span the bulk of the twentieth century.

The bulk of the collection contains Ann Robison's writings, addresses, and scrapbooks. Adolf Robison's plays and scores also are represented.

The collection contains correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, financial and fundraising documents, telegrams, newspaper clippings, press releases, pamphlets and publications, agendas of meetings and conferences, resolutions, annual reports, and handwritten notes. Also included are personal items such as report cards, certificates, diplomas, diaries, musical scores, play scripts, scrapbooks, photographs and other ephemera. The documents are primarily in English, with some in French, German, Hebrew, Korean, Persian, Spanish, Swedish, and Yiddish.

The collection is arranged into the following series: Series I: Ann Green Robison, Organizations; Series II: Ann Green Robison, Writings; Series III: Ann Green Robison, Personal; Series IV: Adolf C. Robison, Organizations; Series V: Adolf C. Robison, Writings; Series VI: Adolf C. Robison, Personal; Series VII: Adolf C. and Ann Green Robison, Joint and Family Papers; Series VIII: Audio-Visual Materials; Series IX: Plaques/Medallions; Series X: Photographs.

Dates

  • undated, 1904-1995

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is predominantly in English, with some French, German, Hebrew, Iranian, Korean, Spanish, Swedish, and Yiddish.

Access Restrictions

The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Executive Director of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility.

Use Restrictions

Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Executive Director of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:

American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011

email: info@ajhs.org

<emph render="bold">Biographical Notes</emph> <extptr actuate="onload" altrender="portrait of Ann and Adolf Robison" show="embed" title="Ann and Adolf Robison" href="http://digital.cjh.org/images/images_ead-ajhs/robison.jpg"/>

Ann Green Robison (1904-1995) Ann Green Robison, journalist, lecturer, educator, textile business executive, and philanthropist, was born in 1904 in Russia and brought up in Old Town, Maine. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Maine in 1924 (Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa) and an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree in 1975. In 1935, she received a Masters Degree from Columbia University Teachers College, and in 1959 a certificate in Hebrew from the Women's Institute of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. She married Adolph Robison on August 28, 1927 and had two sons, Peter and Michael.

Mrs. Robison taught French, English, and Math in Lincoln, Maine for one year before teaching French, History, and Math in New Rochelle, New York for the next fourteen years. In 1941, she began her career as a textile business executive and became Vice-President of the Robison Textile Company.

From 1947 through 1952, Mrs. Robison served as the National Council of Jewish Women's Accredited Representative to the United Nations and broadcast radio shows on Radio Free Europe from overseas under the auspices of the United States delegation to the United Nations.

In 1962, Mrs. Robison lectured throughout Israel promoting NCJW projects. She was invited in 1969 by the Jewish Board of Deputies and the Union of Jewish Women in South Africa to launch the Women's United Communal Fund in South Africa. In 1968 and 1971, respectively, she accompanied her husband to South Korea and Liberia for conventions held by the International Association of University Presidents.

From 1965 to 1987, Mrs. Robison was a columnist for The Jewish Standard published in Jersey City. Her column, "On the Go", dealt with subjects on the Jewish and general community scene. Other writing included articles for the United Nations News for Women Broadcasters, while a representative at the United Nations; for organization journals, including the journal of the American Association of University Women; for the International Council for Jewish Women (ICJW) Newsletter; and for the American Lung Association.

In 1970, she was honored as the first woman to receive the "Man of the Year Award" in the history of the YM-YMHA of Bergen County, New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Robison were made Honorary Fellows of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1974 during the National Council for Jewish Women's (NCJW) First Summit Conference in Israel. Other honors accredited to Mrs. Robison are "Woman of the Year" by the United Jewish Appeal of Tenneco, New Jersey in 1964; the Medal of Merit by Fairleigh Dickinson University; and the naming of a girls' dormitory - Ann Robison House - on Fairleigh Dickinson's Rutherford Campus. The American Association of University Women named a fellowship for her. In 1972, both the Zionist Organization of America and the Jewish War Veterans of Tenneco honored Mr. and Mrs. Robison. The Jewish Federation of Bergen County honored the couple in 1976.

Mrs. Robison also served a number of terms on the National Council for Jewish Women's (NCJW) National Board of Directors and as Chairwoman of many of its major committees. In addition, she also served on the Board of the NCJW Research Institute of Innovation in Education.

Other organizations in which Mrs. Robison was active include the American Lung Association of New Jersey; Vice-President; the YM-YWHA of Bergen County; the American Association of University Women; the Republican Women's Club of Bergen County; the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Secretary; the America-Israel Cultural Foundation; and the Community Museum of Bergen County. Mrs. Robison was elected Vice-President of the National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council (NJCRAC) in 1975 and 1976. Mrs. Robison was the first woman officer in the history of the organization. Mr. and Mrs. Robison served as chairmen of the 25th Anniversary Committee of Bergen County's Salute to Israel. Mrs. Robison served on the American Committee for Israel's 25th Anniversary Celebration.

In 1972 and 1975, Mrs. Robison was elected Vice-President of the International Council of Jewish Women.

Mrs. Robison was a member of the Alumni Council of Teachers College, Columbia University; the Governing Council of American Association for Jewish Education, The Founder's Society of the American Friends of Hebrew University, and the Board of the Easter Seal Association of New Jersey and was Chairman of its Public Relations Committee. She was also Chairwoman of the International Relations Committee of the American Association of University Women.

Mrs. Robison died in Teaneck, New Jersey in 1995.

Adolf C. [Abraham Cohn] Robison (1904-1987) Adolf C. Robison, textile entrepreneur, philanthropist, musician, composer, playwright, Arctic traveler, and Haganah gun runner, was born in New York City on February 4, 1904 to Louis and Paula (Cohn). He received a Bachelor of Arts Degree at Columbia University (Phi Beta Kappa) in 1924 and honorary degrees from Fairleigh Dickinson University, Kyung Hee University, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He married Ann Green Robison on August 28, 1927, and had two sons, Peter and Michael.

As a businessman, he was President of Robison Industries Inc., President of Robison-Anton Export Corp., Chairman of the Board of Robison-Anton Textile Co., Chairman of the Board of Robison of Canada Limited, Chairman of Dyerite Inc., and President of Palm Beach Properties. Robison Anton Textiles supplied the majority of insignia worn by the armed forces during World War II and supplied the yarn from which the official arm patches of the astronauts who participated in the first moon landing were woven.

Robison was an officer in the Haganah underground army during the Israeli war of independence; he operated out of New York hotel, smuggling arms into Israel. From 1948-1951, he served as Chairman of the Board for Material for Israel, an organization that supplied the Haganah with supplies for the war. He was decorated by the Israeli government. Robison was a founding member of the State of Israel Bonds Committee.

Robison had a long association with Fairleigh Dickinson University, where he served as Chairman of the Board of Fellows. The university named its science and engineering building for him in 1964. In 1966, it awarded him an Honorary Doctor of Law degree. He also served as Vice-President of Friends of Department of Hebraic Studies at Rutgers University. As a Representative for Fairleigh Dickinson University, he attended overseas conventions held by the International Association of University Presidents in Seoul, Korea and Monrovia, Liberia. At the Liberian conference, his piece, "The Tubman March," was performed at a memorial service for the Liberian President William V.S. Tubman.

Memberships included the American-Israel Cultural Foundation; Israel Bonds, of which he was a Founder; Histadrut; Jewish National Fund; Teaneck Jewish Community Center; Friends of Kyung Hee University; Board of Governors, Hackensack New Jersey Hospital; Teaneck City Council; and the Teaneck Community Chest. He also served as Director of the Bergen County, New Jersey YMHA.

Robison had a life-long passion for music. He composed works for symphonic band, voice, and piano, solo piano, and chamber groups. In addition to the Tubman March, he composed the National March of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States; the Fairleigh Dickinson University Marching Song, and a song in a British movie. Also a performing musician, Robison held the first bassoonist chair in the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra for 25 years and was a regular member of the Friends of Chamber Music. He also wrote plays and poetry.

During his later years, Robison continued traveling; in 1982, he took part in a month long expedition to Antarctica.

Robison died in Teaneck, New Jersey in 1987.

<emph render="bold">Chronology of the Life of Ann Green Robison</emph>

November 19, 1904
Born, Russia.
1924
Bachelor of Arts, University of Maine.
1924-1925
French, English, and Math Teacher, Mattanawcook Academy, Lincoln, Maine.
1925-1939
French, History and Math Teacher, New Rochelle, New York.
August 28, 1927
Married Adolf Robison.
1935
Master of Arts, Columbia University Teachers College.
1941-1959
Vice-President, Robison Textile Company.
1947-1952
Accredited Observer to the United Nations for the National Council of Jewish Women.
1950-1952
Accredited Observer to the United Nations for the American Association of University Women.
1952
President, PAMA Properties.
1956
Vice-President, Robison Foundation.
1957
Director, Robison of Canada.
1959
Treasurer-Secretary, Robison Anton Textiles.
1959
Certificate in Hebrew, Women's Institute Jewish Theological Seminary in America.
1962
Lectured in Israel to University Women of Israelamong other groups, promoting NCJW projects in Israel.
1964
Woman of the Year United Jewish Appeal, Teaneck, New Jersey.
1964
Medal of Merit, Fairleigh Dickinson University.
February 22, 1964
Ann Robison House, a dormitory, is dedicated on Rutherford Campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
May 23, 1964
Robison Hall of Science and Engineering is dedicated on Teaneck Campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
1965
Begins weekly column, "On the Go," The Jewish Standard.
1966
Vice President, Robison Industries.
1968
Delegate, International Association of University Presidents Convention in Seoul, Korea.
Spent three days as guests of the King and Queen of Sikkim.
1968
Ann Robison Fellowship named by the American Association of University Women.
1969
Co-editor of Daily Bulletin published at Convention of the International Council of Jewish Women.
1969
Speaker in South Africa, launching the biennial campaign of the Women's United Communal Fund, at the invitation of the Jewish Board of Deputies and the Union of Jewish Women of South Africa.
1970
Man of the Year Award, YM-YWHA Bergen County, New Jersey.
1972
"Couple of the Year" Award, Schweiger-Dobrow Jewish War Veterans Post 498, Teaneck, New Jersey (With husband).
1974
Honorary Fellow, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
1975
United Nations World Conference on International Women's Year, Mexico.
1975
United Nations Conference on European Security and Cooperation.
1975
Helsinki Doctor of Human Letters, University of Maine.
1976
Maimonides Award, Jewish Federation of Community Services (with husband).
1985
Award for Volunteership and Philanthropy, Fairleigh Dickinson University (with husband).
1995
Died, Teaneck, New Jersey.
Board and Committee memberships:

American Association for Jewish Education Governing Council, Commission on Statistical Research Information
American Association of University Women Acting Representative at United Nations, Board and National Committee on International Relations and National Speakers' Bureau
American Friends of Hebrew University Member, Founders' Society
America Israel Cultural Foundation Various committees
American Histadrut Cultural Exchange Institute Board
American-Israel Public Affairs Committee National Executive Committee, Washington Conference and Nominating Committee
American Lung Association of New Jersey Nominating Committee, Executive Committee
Bergen Community College Israel Advisory Committee to the President
Bergen County Symphony Society Women's Guild
Bergen-Passaic Lung Association Board and Executive Committee, Representative on State Board, Member of various committees
Brandeis University Women's Association Life member
Columbia University, Teachers College Alumni Council
Community Museum of Bergen County Board
Dames of the Royal Legion of the United States of America Member, member of 75th anniversary committee, speaker
Easter Seal Association State Board, House of Delegates and Development Committee
Fairleigh Dickinson University Advisory committee, Center for Social Work and Applied Social Research
Hadassah Life member, National Speakers' Bureau
International Council of Jewish Women Editor, ICJW Magazine, Member, Administrative Committee
International Program Association Member
Jewish Federation of Community Services Board, Committees
League of Women's Voters Member
National Council of Jewish Women Representative at United Nations, National Board Emeritus, NCJW Research Institute for Innovation in Education Board, various committees and task forces, National Representative for Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council, National Jewish Conference on Soviet Jewry
National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council Program and plenary session committees
Republican Women's Club of Bergen County Board, Advisory Committee
Rutgers State University of New Jersey Board and Advisory Committees, Department of Hebraic Studies
State of Israel Bonds Board of Women's Division, National and Teaneck
Teaneck College Club Board
Tuberculosis-Respiratory Disease Association of Bergen and Passaic Counties Board, Executive Committee, Representative on State Board
United Jewish Appeal Officer of Women's Division of Teaneck, National Speaker
United Nations Association Member
University of Maine Development Council
Young Men's-Young Women's Hebrew Association of Bergen County Board and various committees


Offices:

American Association of University Women Vice-President, Northern Valley Branch, Chair, various committees
American-Israel Public Affairs Committee Secretary
American Lung Association of New Jersey Vice-President, Chair, Program Committee, Public Relations Committee
Bergen-Passaic Lung Association Chair of Program Committee, By-laws Committee
Easter Seal Association Co-Chair 1979 Telethon, Auxiliary Committee
Hadassah Chair, Education in Teaneck
International Council of Jewish Women Vice-President, Chair, International Resolutions Committee
Israel Co-Chair with Mr. Robison, 25th Anniversary Committee of Bergen County
Jewish Federation of Community Services Chair, First Bergen County Campaign, Vice- President
National Conference on Soviet Jewry Chair, Nominating Committee
National Council of Jewish Women Chair, National International Affairs Committee, Co-Chair, Second Summit Conference in Israel 1974, Chair, Priority Task Force on Israel
National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council Vice-President, Secretary, Chair of Agenda Committee for Plenary meeting, Co-Chair, Membership Committee
Republican Women's Club of Bergen County Chair of International Affairs
Teaneck College Club Chair, Program, Book Fair
Tuberculosis-Respiratory Disease Association Of Bergen and Passaic Counties Chair, Program
United Jewish Appeal Chair, Women's Division, Teaneck
Young Men's-Young Women's Hebrew Association of Bergen County Co-Chair, Adult Center for Jewish and Related Studies


Awards:
  1. Ann Robison Award, fellowship, American Association of University Women
  2. Ann Robison House, Girls Dorm, Fairleigh Dickinson University
  3. Award for Volunteership and Philanthropy, Fairleigh Dickinson University (with husband)
  4. Medal of Merit, Fairleigh Dickinson University
  5. Honorary Fellow, Hebrew University
  6. Maimonides Award, Jewish Federation of Community Services
  7. JNF Citation of Honor
  8. Couple of the Year (with husband), Schweiger-Dobrow Jewish War Veterans Post 498, Teaneck
  9. Woman-of-the-Year, United Jewish Appeal, Teaneck
  10. Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, University of Maine
  11. First Woman of the Year, YM-YWHA, Bergen County
  12. Brandeis Award, Zionist Organization of America

<emph render="bold">Chronology of the Life of Adolf C. Robison</emph>

February 4, 1904
Born, New York City.
1924
Bachelor of Arts, Columbia University.
1924
Member, Phi Beta Kappa.
August 28, 1927
Married Ann Green Robison.
1941
President, Robison Industries, Inc.
1941-1966
First Bassoon, Teaneck Symphony, later known as Bergen Philharmonic.
1944
Board of Trustees, Teaneck Jewish Community Center, Past President.
1947-1949
Chairman of the Board, Materials for Israel, Haganah.
1948
New York State Executive Committee, Histadrut.
1950
Director, Israel Economic Corporation.
1955
Chairman of the Board, Robison of Canada Limited.
1955
Member, Teaneck City Council.
1963
Vice-President, Friends of the Department of Hebraic Studies, Rutgers University.
1964
Chairman of the Board, Dyerite Inc.
May 23, 1964
Robison Hall of Science and Engineering is dedicated on Teaneck Campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
1966
Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, Fairleigh Dickinson University.
1966
Chairman, Board of Fellows, Fairleigh Dickinson University.
1967
Executive Committee, Friends of Kyung Hee University.
1968
Board of Governors, Hackensack New Jersey Hospital.
1968
Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, Kyung Hee University.
1971
Brotherhood Award, National Conference of Christians and Jews, Bergen County Chapter.
1972
"Couple of the Year" award, Schweiger - Dobrow Jewish War Veterans Post 498, Teaneck, New Jersey (with wife)
1974
Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
1976
Maimonides Award, Jewish Federation of Community Services (with wife).
1977
Musical Compositions deposited in Songwriters Hall of Fame, New York City.
1985
Award for Volunteership and Philanthropy, Fairleigh Dickinson University (with wife).
August 9, 1987
Died, Teaneck, New Jersey.
Board and Committee memberships:

Bergen County Chamber of Commerce Board
Bergen Stage Repertory Theater Board
Columbia University Presidents Council, Advisory Committee on Jewish Studies
Fairleigh Dickinson University Board of Overseers
Hackensack Hospital Executive Committee, Board of Governors
International Association of University Presidents Member
Jewish National Fund National Board
National Conference of Christians and Jews, Bergen County Board
New York Cultural Center Board of Governors
National Foundation for Jewish Culture Executive Committee
P.E.C. Israel Economic Corporation Board
Public Television New Jersey Advisory Committee
Rutgers State University of New Jersey Department of Hebraic Studies
State of Israel Bonds National Board of Governors
Teaneck City Council Councilman
Township Council, Teaneck, New Jersey Member
United Jewish Community of Bergen County Allocations committee
University of Bridgeport Council of International Fellows
Yeshiva University, Graduate Schools Board of Governors


Offices:

America-Israel Cultural Foundation Vice-President
American Friends of Ben Gurion University Director
Bergen County Friends of Music Director
Bergen County Symphony Society President
Bergen Philharmonic Director
Fairleigh Dickinson University Chair, Board of Fellows, President, Town and Gown Society
Friends of New Jersey Network (Public Television) Treasurer
Histadrut Director, New Jersey State Board
Israel Speaks (publication) President
Jerusalem Foundation Director
Material for Israel Chair
Military Order of the Loyal Legion Treasurer, New York Commandery of the United States
New York Cultural Center Director
State of Israel Bonds Founder
Sutton Ensemble Director
Teaneck Community Chest President
Teaneck Jewish Community Center President
United Jersey Bank of New Jersey Director
William Carlos Williams Center for the Performing Arts Director


Honors:
  1. Honorary Doctor of Law, Fairleigh Dickinson University
  2. Award for Volunteership and Philanthropy, Fairleigh Dickinson University (with wife)
  3. Honorary Fellow, Hebrew University
  4. Maimonides Award, Jewish Federation of Community Services
  5. Honorary Doctor of Law, Kyung Hee University (Seoul, Korea)
  6. Brotherhood Award, National Conference of Christians and Jews, Bergen County
  7. Commander of the Star of Africa, Republic of Liberia
  8. Couple of the Year (with wife), Schweiger-Dobrow Jewish War Veterans Post 498, Teaneck
  9. Military Decoration, State of Israel

Ann Green Robison (1904-1995)

Ann Green Robison, journalist, lecturer, educator, textile business executive, and philanthropist, was born in 1904 in Russia and brought up in Old Town, Maine. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Maine in 1924 (Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa) and an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree in 1975. In 1935, she received a Masters Degree from Columbia University Teachers College, and in 1959 a certificate in Hebrew from the Women's Institute of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. She married Adolph Robison on August 28, 1927 and had two sons, Peter and Michael.

Mrs. Robison taught French, English, and Math in Lincoln, Maine for one year before teaching French, History, and Math in New Rochelle, New York for the next fourteen years. In 1941, she began her career as a textile business executive and became Vice-President of the Robison Textile Company.

From 1947 through 1952, Mrs. Robison served as the National Council of Jewish Women's Accredited Representative to the United Nations and broadcast radio shows on Radio Free Europe from overseas under the auspices of the United States delegation to the United Nations.

In 1962, Mrs. Robison lectured throughout Israel promoting NCJW projects. She was invited in 1969 by the Jewish Board of Deputies and the Union of Jewish Women in South Africa to launch the Women's United Communal Fund in South Africa. In 1968 and 1971, respectively, she accompanied her husband to South Korea and Liberia for conventions held by the International Association of University Presidents.

From 1965 to 1987, Mrs. Robison was a columnist for The Jewish Standard published in Jersey City. Her column, "On the Go", dealt with subjects on the Jewish and general community scene. Other writing included articles for the United Nations News for Women Broadcasters, while a representative at the United Nations; for organization journals, including the journal of the American Association of University Women; for the International Council for Jewish Women (ICJW) Newsletter; and for the American Lung Association.

In 1970, she was honored as the first woman to receive the "Man of the Year Award" in the history of the YM-YMHA of Bergen County, New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Robison were made Honorary Fellows of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1974 during the National Council for Jewish Women's (NCJW) First Summit Conference in Israel. Other honors accredited to Mrs. Robison are "Woman of the Year" by the United Jewish Appeal of Tenneco, New Jersey in 1964; the Medal of Merit by Fairleigh Dickinson University; and the naming of a girls' dormitory - Ann Robison House - on Fairleigh Dickinson's Rutherford Campus. The American Association of University Women named a fellowship for her. In 1972, both the Zionist Organization of America and the Jewish War Veterans of Tenneco honored Mr. and Mrs. Robison. The Jewish Federation of Bergen County honored the couple in 1976.

Mrs. Robison also served a number of terms on the National Council for Jewish Women's (NCJW) National Board of Directors and as Chairwoman of many of its major committees. In addition, she also served on the Board of the NCJW Research Institute of Innovation in Education.

Other organizations in which Mrs. Robison was active include the American Lung Association of New Jersey; Vice-President; the YM-YWHA of Bergen County; the American Association of University Women; the Republican Women's Club of Bergen County; the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Secretary; the America-Israel Cultural Foundation; and the Community Museum of Bergen County. Mrs. Robison was elected Vice-President of the National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council (NJCRAC) in 1975 and 1976. Mrs. Robison was the first woman officer in the history of the organization. Mr. and Mrs. Robison served as chairmen of the 25th Anniversary Committee of Bergen County's Salute to Israel. Mrs. Robison served on the American Committee for Israel's 25th Anniversary Celebration.

In 1972 and 1975, Mrs. Robison was elected Vice-President of the International Council of Jewish Women.

Mrs. Robison was a member of the Alumni Council of Teachers College, Columbia University; the Governing Council of American Association for Jewish Education, The Founder's Society of the American Friends of Hebrew University, and the Board of the Easter Seal Association of New Jersey and was Chairman of its Public Relations Committee. She was also Chairwoman of the International Relations Committee of the American Association of University Women.

Mrs. Robison died in Teaneck, New Jersey in 1995.

Adolf C. [Abraham Cohn] Robison (1904-1987)

Adolf C. Robison, textile entrepreneur, philanthropist, musician, composer, playwright, Arctic traveler, and Haganah gun runner, was born in New York City on February 4, 1904 to Louis and Paula (Cohn). He received a Bachelor of Arts Degree at Columbia University (Phi Beta Kappa) in 1924 and honorary degrees from Fairleigh Dickinson University, Kyung Hee University, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He married Ann Green Robison on August 28, 1927, and had two sons, Peter and Michael.

As a businessman, he was President of Robison Industries Inc., President of Robison-Anton Export Corp., Chairman of the Board of Robison-Anton Textile Co., Chairman of the Board of Robison of Canada Limited, Chairman of Dyerite Inc., and President of Palm Beach Properties. Robison Anton Textiles supplied the majority of insignia worn by the armed forces during World War II and supplied the yarn from which the official arm patches of the astronauts who participated in the first moon landing were woven.

Robison was an officer in the Haganah underground army during the Israeli war of independence; he operated out of New York hotel, smuggling arms into Israel. From 1948-1951, he served as Chairman of the Board for Material for Israel, an organization that supplied the Haganah with supplies for the war. He was decorated by the Israeli government. Robison was a founding member of the State of Israel Bonds Committee.

Robison had a long association with Fairleigh Dickinson University, where he served as Chairman of the Board of Fellows. The university named its science and engineering building for him in 1964. In 1966, it awarded him an Honorary Doctor of Law degree. He also served as Vice-President of Friends of Department of Hebraic Studies at Rutgers University. As a Representative for Fairleigh Dickinson University, he attended overseas conventions held by the International Association of University Presidents in Seoul, Korea and Monrovia, Liberia. At the Liberian conference, his piece, "The Tubman March," was performed at a memorial service for the Liberian President William V.S. Tubman.

Memberships included the American-Israel Cultural Foundation; Israel Bonds, of which he was a Founder; Histadrut; Jewish National Fund; Teaneck Jewish Community Center; Friends of Kyung Hee University; Board of Governors, Hackensack New Jersey Hospital; Teaneck City Council; and the Teaneck Community Chest. He also served as Director of the Bergen County, New Jersey YMHA.

Robison had a life-long passion for music. He composed works for symphonic band, voice, and piano, solo piano, and chamber groups. In addition to the Tubman March, he composed the National March of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States; the Fairleigh Dickinson University Marching Song, and a song in a British movie. Also a performing musician, Robison held the first bassoonist chair in the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra for 25 years and was a regular member of the Friends of Chamber Music. He also wrote plays and poetry.

During his later years, Robison continued traveling; in 1982, he took part in a month long expedition to Antarctica.

Robison died in Teaneck, New Jersey in 1987.

Extent

41.40 Linear Feet (54 manuscript boxes; 2 half manuscript boxes, 7 [16 x 20"] oversized boxes; 1 [20 x 24"] oversized box; 3 MAP folders)

Overview

Robison family papers reflect various activities of Adolf C. and Ann Green Robison in civic organizations, Jewish communal life, Jewish national and international affairs, and individually in the arts. Contains information on the origins of the United Nations and on aid to Israel before, during, and after the War of Independence. The materials include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, financial documents, newspaper clippings, photographs, diaries, scrapbooks, musical scores, and play scripts.

Provenance

In 1996 the papers of Adolf C. and Ann Green Robison were donated by their sons, Michael and Peter Robison.

Related Material

Isaiah J. Kenen Papers, P-680; National Council of Jewish Women, Records (Library of Congress, Manuscript Division)
Title
Guide to the Papers of Robison Family, (1904-1995)   *P-678
Status
In Progress
Author
Processed by Leslie S. Lundberg
Date
© 2006
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the American Jewish Historical Society Repository

Contact:
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States