Skip to main content

Records of the Jewish Child Care Association of New York

 Collection
Identifier: I-235

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains files relating to the history, mergers and functions of the Association, By-Laws (1960), Committees' records, President's reports (1949-1952), Executive Director's reports (1949-1952), Treasurer's reports (1945, 1948-1949), annual reports (1972, 1984-1990), and papers re various activities, including Childville, Edenwald, Foster Home Department (including material from the European Jewish Children's Aid Project), Friendly Home for Girls, Girls' Club Group Residence, Pleasantville, Psychiatric Clinic, Social Services Department, Sylvan Stix Workshop, and Vocational Services. Includes also statistical reports (1946-1970), and Studies on the Association (1949-1972), the Manual of Policies and Procedures (1972), and files on child care conferences, property sales, annual dinners, awards and ceremonies, the 75th anniversary celebration, the 150th anniversary celebration, Herman W. Block, the Child Care Alumni Council (1954-1964), the League to Aid Hebrew Infants (1948-1953), studies and papers by Association staff, memos, publications ("P.C.S. World," "Bulletin," "Our Children," "JCCA journal"), promotional material, photographs, and voluminous scrapbooks.

Dates

  • undated, 1916, 1937-1994, 2003-2007

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is open to all researchers, except items that may be restricted due to their fragility, or privacy.

Use Restrictions

No permission is required to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection, as long as the usage is scholarly, educational, and non-commercial. For inquiries about other usage, please contact the Director of Collections and Engagement at mmeyers@ajhs.org.

For reference questions, please email: inquiries@cjh.org

Historical Note

The Jewish Child Care Association of New York (JCCA) traces its history back to the formation of the Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1822. The Hebrew Benevolent Society established the Hebrew Orphan Asylum in 1860 as New York City’s first Jewish orphanage. The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society was founded in 1879, the Fellowship House was founded in 1913, and the Jewish Children’s Clearing Bureau was founded in 1922. In 1940, these four organizations merged to become the New York Association for Jewish Children. The the New York Association for Jewish Children and the Home for Hebrew Infants in the Bronx consolidated in 1942 as the Jewish Child Care Association of New York. The Ladies Sewing Society of the Hebrew Orphan Society joined the Jewish Child Care Association in 1946, the Wayside Nursery merged in 1948, and the Jewish Youth Services of Brooklyn, which comprised the Brooklyn Hebrew Orphan Asylum and the Girls Club Association of Brooklyn, merged in 1960. Various other child welfare organizations have continued to join in the years since.

The JCCA provides foster and residential care, adoption services, educational assistance and tutoring, after-school programs, medical and mental health care, child welfare services, and child abuse and maltreatment prevention services to thousands of children, young adults and families in need each year. There are also programs to provide Jewish continuity to new immigrants and to Jewish children and families. Many of the programs have been open to children of all nationalities and religions since the late 1960s.

For more information, see www.jccany.org.

Extent

13 Manuscript Boxes

15.0 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection contains files relating to the history, mergers and functions of the Association, By-Laws (1960), Committees' records, President's reports (1949-1952), Executive Director's reports (1949-1952), Treasurer's reports (1945, 1948-1949), annual reports (1972, 1984-1990), and papers re various activities, including Childville, Edenwald, Foster Home Department (including material from the European Jewish Children's Aid Project), Friendly Home for Girls, Girls' Club Group Residence, Pleasantville, Psychiatric Clinic, Social Services Department, Sylvan Stix Workshop, and Vocational Services. Includes also statistical reports (1946-1970), and Studies on the Association (1949-1972), the Manual of Policies and Procedures (1972), and files on child care conferences, property sales, annual dinners, awards and ceremonies, the 75th anniversary celebration, the 150th anniversary celebration, Herman W. Block, the Child Care Alumni Council (1954-1964), the League to Aid Hebrew Infants (1948-1953), studies and papers by Association staff, memos, publications ("P.C.S. World," "Bulletin," "Our Children," "JCCA journal"), promotional material, photographs, and voluminous scrapbooks.

Physical Location

Located in AJHS New York, NY
Title
Guide to the Records of the Jewish Child Care Association of New York, undated, 1916, 1937-1994, 2003-2007 I-235
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by marc2ead_ajhs.xsl
Date
© 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Revision Statements

  • 2016-09-21: PDF box list converted to dsc. Finding aid encoding revised. Historical Note and Related Materials added. Rachel S. Harrison
  • February 2021: RJohnstone: post-ASpace migration cleanup.

Repository Details

Part of the American Jewish Historical Society Repository

Contact:
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States