Congregation Tifereth Israel, Collection
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of a variety of items related to the Congregation Tifereth Israel in Cleveland, better known as “The Temple.” Included are five weekly bulletins ranging in date from 1954-1963, as well as a bulletin from the Euclid Avenue Temple dated 1934. There are also programs from various Temple events, such as the 1939 Confirmation Service and a memorial window dedication to the men and women who served in World War II. Notably, there is a book published in 1950 on the Temple’s centennial anniversary, which includes rich historical narrative as well as a timeline, a list of Temple membership, and a list of past Rabbis and other prominent Temple figures.
Also included in the collection are materials related to the student Zionist group Avukah, such as correspondence and a schedule of lectures for the 7th annual Summer School and Camp. There are also press releases sent to the editor of The Student Zionist, which was published by Avukah, from the American Zionist Emergency Council, Young Zionist Actions Committee, American Christian Palestine Committee and the Israeli Office of Information.
- Temple-Tifereth Israel (Cleveland, Ohio) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility.
Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:
American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
The Congregation Tifereth Israel was the first Reform Jewish congregation in Cleveland, and was established on May 26, 1850 when members of the congregation Anshe Chesed seceded regarding a religious dispute. Forty-seven members left Anshe Chesed to form Tifereth Israel, meaning “Glory of Israel.” Dr. Isidor Kalisch was appointed to be the first “rabbi, teacher, preacher, and reader” of the congregation, and Alexander Schwab, the president. During the first year, services were held in the Schwab home, but over the years Tifereth Israel would inhabit several grand houses of worship, including the Temple at University Circle. By the end of the 19th Century, the Temple was one of the most prominent Reform congregations in the country.
The Congregation Tifereth Israel, commonly known as “the Temple” was the first Reform Jewish congregation in Cleveland, and was established in 1850. It quickly became one of the most prominent Reform congregations in the country, and has a large membership to this day. The collection includes newsletters and programs, a book that tells the history of the congregation’s first 100 years, and other material related to the student Zionist group Ayukah.
The collection is arranged into 2 series as follows:
Located in AJHS New York, NY
Donated by Gerald Handel, 2008.
- Guide to the Collection of Congregation Tifereth Israel, 1934-1963 *I-522
- Processed by Mimi Lester
- © 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
Part of the American Jewish Historical Society Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States