Aaronsberg, PA (founded 1786) and Aaron Levy (1742-1815), undated, 1786, 1792
Scope and Contents
The documents in the collection were originally bound in a leather book embossed with the title "Autograph Letters and Documents Relating to American Jewish History." As of April 2023, the AJHS has not discovered how or why donated Rosenbach materials were removed and placed in the bound volume. Notes found in the collection of documents include several items that were removed for exhibitions and never returned to the book. The earliest of these notes is from 1937, indicating that the volume was created prior to that year. In 2023, the documents were removed from the bound book by the Cahnman Preservation Laboratory at the Center for Jewish History and digitized by the staff of the American Jewish Historical Society. The documents were then ingested into the Center's digital management system and are now viewable to the public.
The collection holds various documents from prominent members of Jewish society in the 18th and 19th centures, plus some advertisements and book pages. Documents relate to the American Revolution and tariffs; American Revolution pensions; politics between Whig and Democratic issues during the 1840s; other correspondence and items published from pamphlets promoting books or schools.
- Creation: undated, 1786
- Creation: 1792
- From the Collection: Rosenbach, A. S. W. (Abraham Simon Wolf), 1876-1952 (Person)
Aaronsburg, Pennsylvania was founded by Amsterdam-born Aaron Levy in 1786.
From the Collection: 0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
- 1. Aaronsburg Story, Pennsylvania Heritage Magazine http://paheritage.wpengine.com/article/aaronsburg-story/
- 2. DeCordova, Joshua Hezekiah, and Bailey, Francis. Reason and Faith : Or, Philosophical Absurdities and the Necessity of Revelation Intended to Promote Faith among Infidels and the Unbounded Exercise of Humanity among All Religious Men / by One of the Sons of Abraham to His Brethren. 1791. Print. https://links.cjh.org/primo/CJH_ALEPH004610786 (Book autographed by Aaron Levy.)
- 3. Explore Historical Marker https://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-29
- 4. Kaganoff, Nathan M. “New Discoveries on Aaron Levy.” American Jewish History 79, no. 4 (1990): 505–6. http://www.jstor.org/stable/23884382.
- 5. Rosenbach, Isabella H., and Abraham S. Wolf Rosenbach. “AARON LEVY.” Publications of the American Jewish Historical Society, no. 2 (1894): 157–63. http://www.jstor.org/stable/43057420.