Jewish Social Service Association, inc
Biographical / Historical
Organized 1874 as United Hebrew Charities of the City of New York; incorporated 1877; Name changed 1926, to Jewish Social Service Association, inc.; Merged with the Jewish Family Welfare Society in 1946 to form the Jewish Family Service
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Collection contains bound records from the administrative activities of the Hebrew Infant Asylum, including annual reports, board meeting minutes, reports of the admitting physicians, and the admission and discharge records of children.
This collection is comprised of annual reports (1875-1880, 1889, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1901-1910, 1914, 1935-1938, 1940), dedication material for the Hebrew Charities Building in New York (1899), membership information, and miscellaneous promotional fliers, pamphlets and brochures. The collection also includes the following publication: Inside Information (1934-1936, 1939-1940).
The Baron de Hirsch Fund Records document the organization's involvement in the planning of agricultural communities across the United States and to some extent in South America; the founding and administrative dealings of agricultural and trade schools; the establishment of the Jewish Agricultural Society; and the business records of the Fund itself. In addition, the collection documents the protection offered to immigrants through port work, relief, temporary aid, promotion of suburban industrial enterprises and removal from urban centers through the Industrial Removal Office, land settlement, agricultural training, and trade and general education. In this respect, the collection is of major interest for Jewish genealogists as it documents a number of individual immigrants. In addition, the collection contains documentation on the administration and organization of the fund, documentation on Jewish farming colonies such as the Jewish Agricultural Society, Woodbine Colony and Agricultural School, and documentation on the Baron de Hirsch Trade School. In addition, the collection contains blueprints and photographs of facilities.
The Industrial Removal Office was created as part of the Jewish Agricultural Society to assimilate immigrants into American society, both economically and culturally. It worked to employ all Jewish immigrants. The collection contains administrative and financial records, immigrants' removal records, and correspondence. A database has been constructed to search for persons removed by the Industrial Removal Office.