National Association of Jewish Center Workers (U.S.)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Papers of Louis Kraft: social worker, writer, and executive director of the Jewish Welfare Board, 1938-1947. The collection is valuable to researchers studying the Jewish Community Center movement, in particular the activities of the National Jewish Welfare Board during the 1940's, as well as the reestablishment of Jewish community life in Europe after World War II. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, financial and fund raising documents, newspaper clippings, publications, agenda of meetings and conferences, resolutions, annual reports, and handwritten notes. Also included are personal items such as certificates, scrapbooks, diaries, greeting cards, and photographs.
The collection documents the National Jewish Welfare Board's (JWB) evolution from an organization founded in 1917 to provide support for soldiers in times of war to an agency involved in all aspects of Jewish life both in the United States and abroad. In 1990 JWB recreated itself as the Jewish Community Centers Association of North America.
The collection documents Rabbi Philip Goodman’s involvement with the American Jewish Historical Society, the early years of the Orthodox Union, the Institutional Synagogue in Harlem and its day camp, the Army and Navy commission of the Jewish Welfare Board during World War II, a fraternal club originating in the Uptown Talmud Torah, The Jewish Book Council of America, The Townsend Harris High School and its Hatikvah Society, Yeshiva University, Jewish scouting, and more. The collection contains addresses, articles, bulletins, correspondence, commencement book, guest book, newsclippings, newsletters, photographs, radio broadcast transcripts, souvenir journal, and yearbook.