Jewish Child Care Association of New York
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Collection contains bound records from the administrative activities of the Hebrew Infant Asylum, including annual reports, board meeting minutes, reports of the admitting physicians, and the admission and discharge records of children.
Abstract The Hebrew National Orphan Home Alumni Association Records document the activities from the establishment of the association in 1925 until its demise 2011. The records consist primarily of the Association's newsletter, The Alumnus, programs of reunion events, meeting minutes of both the general meetings and the association advisory board, newspaper and magazine clippings, oral histories on audiocassettes and videotapes, alumni writings, scrapbooks, correspondence, and a few photographs.
Dates: undated, 1925-2014; Majority of material found within 1957 - 1997
Abstract Collection contains primarily correspondence and published material of Herman Block relating to his association with the Jewish Child Care Association. Of special interest is a letter written by Block to President Woodrow Wilson in 1913 regarding the Tariff on Woolens and extensive correspondence with Senator Herbert Lehman (1954-1962). Collection also includes speeches, awards, newspaper clippings, and photographs and material relating to the Naomi Lehman Memorial Award.
Abstract The collection consists of memorabilia and research materials Hyman Bogen collected regarding the Hebrew Orphan Asylum of New York and its alumni association, the Seligman Solomon Society. A wide range of documents exist, such as orphanage and alumni publications, personal and academic histories, souvenir programs, articles and newslcippings, reports, files on certain individual alumni, correspondence, completed alumni questionnaires, photographs, veteran and census documents, a scrapbook, and banners and towels. The collection includes many HOA publications, the HOA annual reports, commemorative booklets, a centenial souvenir book, a farewell dinner program, camp Wehaha and Wakitan songbook, and evaluation reports. The collection contains several personal and academic histories as well as informal recollections of HOA written by alumni and graduate students of the Graduate School for Jewish Social Work. Burial lists of children interred at Beth El (1930s) and Salem Fields (1988) Cemeteries can be accessed as well. Of unusual interest are research files Hyman Bogen gathered for his book The Luckiest Orphans: A History of the Hebrew Orphan Asylum of New York and a possible book on the Franco and Goldman families. These include Samson Simpson (1780-1857) as well as the musical prodigies Franco and Goldman families who had ties to HOA. Another appealing item is the visitor book to Moses Ezekiel's Rome Studio (1896). HOA photographs are numerous and consist of the Broadway and Amsterdam building, individual groups, camps, boys scout troop, the band, HOA staff, confirmation classes, the 1941 farewell dinner, a 1945 seder, and a memorial to HOA plaque dedication. A scrapbook compiled by HOA librarian Mildred Stember offers a detailed view of HOA life in the 1920's. Seligman Solomon Society material includes the oldest existing SSS document, a musical program from 1889. Further material encompasses bulletins, dinner programs, anniversary books, and meeting minutes proposing the merger of SSS and Academy Alumni Association.
Dates: undated, 1832-1997
Abstract This collection contains files relating to the history, mergers and functions of the Association, By-Laws (1960), Committees' records, President's reports (1949-1952), Executive Director's reports (1949-1952), Treasurer's reports (1945, 1948-1949), annual reports (1972, 1984-1990), and papers re various activities, including Childville, Edenwald, Foster Home Department (including material from the European Jewish Children's Aid Project), Friendly Home for Girls, Girls' Club Group Residence, Pleasantville, Psychiatric Clinic, Social Services Department, Sylvan Stix Workshop, and Vocational Services. Includes also statistical reports (1946-1970), and Studies on the Association (1949-1972), the Manual of Policies and Procedures (1972), and files on child care conferences, property sales, annual dinners, awards and ceremonies, the 75th anniversary celebration, the 150th anniversary celebration, Herman W. Block, the Child Care Alumni Council (1954-1964), the League to Aid Hebrew Infants (1948-1953), studies and papers by Association staff, memos, publications ("P.C.S. World," "Bulletin," "Our Children," "JCCA journal"), promotional material, photographs, and voluminous scrapbooks.
Dates: undated, 1916, 1937-1994, 2003-2007
Abstract United Jewish Appeal-Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York is the organization that resulted from the mergers of various New York federations with the New York office of UJA. UJA-Federation and its predecessor organizations have been a central force for communal planning and philanthropy in the New York Jewish community since 1917, and in overseas Jewish communities since 1939. The largest section of this collection covers the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies and its predecessor organizations in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Important subject areas include Federation’s work with their affiliated agencies including detailed budget files through most of the 20th century; UJA’s programs in Israel and campaigns in New York during the 1960s and 1970s; an overview of the UJA-Federation Joint Campaign 1974-1986; and the day to day work of the successfully merged organizations 1986-2000.