Biographical / Historical
The nucleus of the Maxische Akademie was founded in 1774; it functioned as a "Gymnasium" until 1777, when it was raised to the status of an academy, which was called Maxische or Bonner Akademie. In 1786, Archbishop Maximillian Friedrich raised the status of the academy to that of a university, which was called Kurfürstliche Universität. It closed in 1798, and was replaced by the present Friedrich Wilhelms Universität, commonly known as Universität Bonn, in 1818.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Alfred Philippson Collection
The collection contains numerous personal papers, manuscripts and correspondence with explorers and geographers. The personal papers follow Philippson’s career as professor in Bonn and in Halle.
Gustav Wendel Family Collection
The collection contains documents of Gustav Wendel and his family, including documents pertaining to Wendel's service as a physician in the German army; family documents, such as birth, marriage, and citizenship certificates, family history, and correspondence; and documents pertaining to Wendel's medical training. Also included is a letter to Wendel from Lion Feuchtwanger.
Wilhelm Levison Collection
The Wilhelm Levison Collection contains personal correspondence and documents concerning the years 1933-1935 at the University of Bonn and the years 1921-1928 in the 'Grossloge.'