United Jewish Appeal--Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
The collection consists of the records of the Herman Muehlstein Foundation from 1947 to 2007. The Herman Muehlstein Foundation was a philanthropic organization that gave generously to educational institutes and agencies that supported Herman Muehlstein’s mission to improve the life and quality of young men and women in need of financial assistance. The Herman Muehlstein Foundation was established in 1947 and closed in 2005. The collection consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, legal papers, and grant proposals.
The New York Board of Rabbis is a cross-denominational Jewish organization for rabbis that seeks to foster fellowship, provide educational enrichment, and rise above theological differences to strengthen and defend the Jewish community advancing its’ educational, religious, and social values. The collection documents the governance of the Board and its activities in serving the Jewish community of New York and at large.
The papers of Jewish civic leader Philip Bernstein contain writings and professional papers related to his career with the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, including his participation in the establishment of the National Foundation for Jewish Culture and the National Jewish Community Relations Council, and his work with many other Jewish communal organizations, including the Jewish Agency for Israel, the Joint Distribution Committee, the United Jewish Appeal, and the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York.
The Solender Family Papers document the professional achievements and to a lesser extent, the personal lives, of the members of the Solender family. The Solender family has been influential in the field of Jewish Communal Services since the 1930s. Family members that are most prominently represented in the collection include Samuel Solender (1890-1961), his son Sanford Solender (1914-2003), and his grandson Stephen Solender (1938- ).