Herta Seidemann Collection
Identifier: AR 25060
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains documents, postcards, and photographs relating to Herta Seidemann. The bulk of the collection consists of material documenting both her university studies and her professional career, including curriculum vitae, diplomas, certifications and certificates of exams, medical internships and degrees, and reference letters from her German employers (some with English translations). It includes favorable reference letters from her former employer Karl Bonhoeffer, dating from 1938. Other documents include a list of personal items taken during her emigration in 1938 and a typed copy of her grandfather Benjamin Seidemann's naturalization certificate for Prussian citizenship. A few postcards from friends and family as well as two photographs document Herta Seidemann’s personal life.
- Seidemann, Herta, 1900-1984 (Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is in German and English.
This collection is open to researchers.
Herta Seidemann (1900-1984) studied medicine at the universities of Berlin, Breslau, and Zurich. As a psychiatrist and neurologist, she studied and worked with, among others, the scholars Robert Wollenberg, August Homburger, Erich Fromm, and Karl Bonhoeffer. After being prohibited from working in Germany in 1933, Seidemann left for Switzerland, but she was forced to return to Germany in 1936. In 1938, she immigrated to the United States. With help from the Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars, she found a position at Montefiore hospital in New York working under Kurt Goldstein. Seidemann soon established a private practice, which she continued until her death in 1984.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box) + one oversize folder (OS 78)
This collection contains documents relating to psychiatrist and neurologist Herta Seidemann (1900-1984). The bulk of the collection consists of educational and professional documents. It also includes a few postcards from friends and family as well as two photographs.
The folders were left as previously arranged, by subject.
The collection was digitized and made accessible in its entirety.
A postcard from folder 6 was reproduced in Mirjam Zadoff's Next Year in Marienbad: The Lost Worlds of Jewish Spa Culture (Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 2012).
- Mirjam Zadoff's Next Year in Marienbad: The Lost Worlds of Jewish Spa Culture (Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 2012)
The materials were refoldered. Duplicates and blank postcards from vacation areas of Southern Germany and Italy were removed.
- Guide to the Herta Seidemann Collection undated, 1919-1961 AR 25060
- Processed by Kevin Schlottmann and LBI staff
- © 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Processed as part of the Leon Levy Archival Processing Initiative, made possible by the Leon Levy Foundation. Digitization made possible by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany.
- June 2015: dao links and digitization information added by Leanora Lange.
- July 2015: dao link for oversized material added by Leanora Lange.