Robert Ira Lewy Family Digital Collection
Scope and Content Note
Photographs documenting the lives of the Lewy Family. In addition there are some vital documents and genealogical papers. Also there are some greeting cards and some school papers. All of the material was donated in the digital format.
- Lewy, Robert Ira (Person)
- Friedman, Robert I., 1950- (Person)
- Zdzislaw, Kosicki (Person)
- Glucker, John (Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is in English, German and some Polish.
Open to researchers.
The collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
Martin Lewy (1900, Hohensalza – 1982, Brooklyn NY) was born in Hohensalza, Posen (today Inowrocław, Poland). He studied medicine at universities in Breslau and in Berlin, receiving his diploma in 1925. He was married to Esfira Lewy, née Levy (1906, Lodz Poland – 1990, Houston TX). Martin and Esfira Lewy were parents to Robert Ira Lewy, who compiled the documents in this collection.
Photographs documenting the lives of the Lewy family. Esfira and Martin Lewy, and their son Robert Ira Lewy are most represented. Also included are vital documents and genealogical papers, and some personal papers.
Processed by Emily Andresini. The scope and content fields and folder titles were derived from descriptive information provided by the donor, Robert Ira Lewy. The original folder structure was maintained, but the order of the photographs within each folder was reconfigured according to presumed chronology, based on the descriptive information provided by the donor. Specific dates for each image were not always provided. The file names of these images are mostly the personal names of those pictured, and were also provided by the donor. These file names have been preserved and are accessible in the bookmarks column of each PDF folder.
- Berlin (Germany)
- Education, Higher -- Germany -- History -- 20th century
- Emigration and immigration
- Genealogical tables
- Inowrocław (Poland)
- Jewish families
- Jewish physicians
- Jews -- Genealogy
- Lewy, Esfira, 1906-1990
- Lewy, Martin, 1900-1982
- New York (N.Y.)
- Personal papers
- Poznań (Poland)
- Vital records (document genre)
- Guide to the Robert Ira Lewy Family Digital Collection, 1810-2013 DM 211
- Processed by LBI Staff.
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- August 2013:: Added images to folder 9.
- February 2014:: Added images to folders 4a and 11e.
- September 2014:: Added images to folders 1b and 11e. Descriptions of both folders were modified to reflect new images.
- July 2015:: Descriptive information added to Folders 13 and 16. Image added to Folder 6.
- November 2015:: Descriptive information and images added to Folder 1a.
- August 2016:: Folder 18 added.
- November 2016:: Descriptive information added to Folder 6 and Folder 18.
- November 2017:: Descriptive information and image added to Folder 8
- January 2018:: Descriptive information and image added to Folder 8
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States