Sephardic Home for the Aged Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains the institutional records of the Sephardic Home for the Aged. The bulk of the records dates from 1988-2011. A smaller number of records related to the institution’s establishment and earlier years can also be found, but there are large gaps in records created earlier than the mid-1980s.
The largest sections are Series I: Photographs and Series II, Subseries B: Board of Directors. The photographs in Series I mainly document fundraising events such as the formal Dinner Dance and the annual Cedarhurst Luncheon hosted by the Ladies Auxiliary of the Sephardic Home for the Aged (LASHA), among many other events. The Board of Directors files in Series II, Subseries B consist of board meeting minutes, agendas, and audio recordings as well as board member files, committee files, and general files. Other materials found in the collection include by-laws and constitution (Series II, Subseries A), LASHA files (Series II, Subseries C), general administrative records (Series II, Subseries E), a very small number of resident records (Series II, Subseries D), and event files (Series II, Subseries F).
- Creation: 1917-2016
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1988-2011
- Sephardic Home (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
The collection is open to researchers with the exception of the following folders, which are restricted due to privacy concerns: box 29 folders 1-2, box 31 folder 8.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact: American Sephardi Federation, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011 email: ASFinquiries@cjh.org
The Sephardic Home for the Aged was an elderly care facility located in Brooklyn, New York. Sephardic religious and cultural practices were followed at the home, from accommodating languages spoken by Sephardic Jews to providing typical meals and traditional holiday festivities.
In 1948, a group formed to bring about the Sephardic Home for the Aged. It was incorporated in 1949 as the Sephardic Home for the Aged, Inc., and it became a not-for-profit corporation in 1973.
The first building was opened on August 16, 1951 with five stories and 58 beds. Community need soon proved to be greater than this facility could handle, and plans for expansion began. A seven-story building with a 178-bed capacity was constructed on Crospey Avenue in Brooklyn, New York and opened on March 29, 1960. On September 8, 1969, the LASHA pavilion was dedicated, adding communal areas and a new entrance. In 1974, the Jacob A. and Jeanne E. Barkey Wing was added, bringing capacity to 272 beds.
By the 1980s, the home offered medical, nursing, and rehabilitative services. Dedicated physicians were available on the premises, and there were fully equipped dental, radiology, and ophthalmology facilities. In addition, there was a full-time rabbi and an onsite synagogue with daily, Sabbath, and holiday services. The kitchen was kosher.
The members of the Board of Directors of the Sephardic Home were often part of the Sephardic Jewish community whose family members were or became residents of the home. Some of the children of early board members later became board members themselves.
The main fundraising events for the year centered around the creation of an annual journal and honored a person of the year chosen by the board. The annual Journal Kick-off, usually held in May, started the fundraising season, which culminated in a formal Dinner Dance, usually held in November, which served as the main gala event for the year. The annual journal featured the fundraising campaign contributors.
The Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Sephardic Home Association (LASHA) was created in 1960 through an amendment to the Sephardic Home’s constitution. LASHA ran several regular fundraising events for the Home, including a weekend excursion, a golf outing, a bazaar, a donor luncheon that generally took place in the summer, and a luncheon/fashion show in Cedarhurst that generally took place in October.
Other regular events included the installation ceremony for board members and officers, a presentation of a photograph album to an honoree, a “Nite at the Races” outing to the Meadowlands or Atlantic City, and an Oriental Soiree.
In December 2014, the Sephardic Home for the Aged, Inc. was dissolved. The facility was sold to Allure Group and renamed the King David Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation.
20 Linear Feet (36 manuscript boxes, 1 banker's box, 1 box oversized material, 9 framed photographs and artworks, and digital files)
The Sephardic Home for the Aged served as a nursing and rehabilitation center for the Sephardic Jewish community of New York City from 1951-2014. While this collection spans the institution’s history, the bulk of the records stems from 1988-2011. The largest portions of the collection are the photographs and Board of Directors files. Also included are the by-laws and constitution, general administrative files, event files, and files of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Sephardic Home Association (LASHA).
The collection arrived mostly in well-labeled hanging folders. The original order was followed as closely as possible. The collection is arranged into two series by document type.
- Series I: Photographs, 1925, circa 1950s-2013
- Series II: Administrative Records, 1949-2014
- Subseries A: By-laws and constitution, 1949-2014
- Subseries B: Board of Directors, 1952-2014
- Subsubseries 1: Meetings, 1952-2014
- Subsubseries 2: Board member files, 1965-2014
- Subsubseries 3: Committees, 1986-2013
- Subsubseries 4: General, 1952-2014
- Subseries C: Ladies Auxiliary of the Sephardic Home Association (LASHA), 1960s-2003
- Subseries D: Resident records, 1917-1955, circa 1990s-2014
- Subseries E: General administrative, 1954-2016
- Subseries F: Events, circa 1950s-2014
- Subseries G: Sephardic Home News, 1950-2012
These records were accessioned in 2015 from the Sephardic Home for the Aged. Box 31 Folders 12-14 were collected separately by the ASF Director of Library and Archives and were added to the collection during processing in 2016.
Separated to the ASF Library were the following publications: The Sephardic Home Silver Anniversary 1973, The Sephardic Home Book of Remembrance (1978), A Journey through Time (1993), and four bankers boxes of further publications, including several annual journals.
The bulk of the material was donated in labeled hanging folders. The hanging folders were removed, and materials were placed in acid-free archival folders and boxes. Original order and original labels, where present, were retained. Loose photographs were placed in archival sleeves. Envelopes and folders holding photographs were removed, but any clear order these containers might have indicated was retained. Born digital photographs were moved from optical media (CDs) to ASF digital storage in February 2016 and made openly accessible online. File names were retained. Duplicates of born digital photographs were skipped. Sometimes these duplicates were held on separate CDs in what appeared to be a curated manner, or they were given file names with suffixes like “use” and “good” that hinted that these photographs were being selected and used by staff of the Sephardic Home, likely for publications. Duplicates of board minutes were removed, and no more than two copies of gala invitations and photographs were kept. Invoices, receipts, copies of checks, and pharmacy certifications from the 1990s were removed. Where board member folders held a copy of a photograph taped to the inside cover of the folder, these were photocopied onto acid-free paper and included in that board member’s file. A maximum of three copies of brochures and flyers were kept, and all further duplicates were removed. Processing of Series G: Sephardic Home News was completed with the assistance of Craig Supcoff.
- Guide to the Sephardic Home for the Aged Records 1917-2016 (bulk 1988-2011) ASF AR 75
- Processed by Leanora Lange
- © 2016
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- as part of the Leon Levy Archival Processing Initiative, made possible by the Leon Levy Foundation.