Lower East Side Synagogues Collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection contains documents relating to Singer’s attempted sale of the Stanton Street Shul; records of the Stanton Street Shul’s activities, including its Constitution, and items concerning synagogue news and events, including flyers, calendars, and a newsletter; and photographs and newspaper articles related to Lower East Side synagogues more generally. Furthermore, the collection contains one audiocassette and eleven mini-DVs, which have been separated into the audiovisual collection. The mini-DVs have not been transferred to a viewable format and are currently not accessible.
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
The collection is open to all researchers by permission of the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society, except items that are restricted due to their fragility. At this time the mini-DVs are not viewable, though the audiocassette can be listened to with the approval of the Director of Collections.
Information concerning the literary rights may be obtained from the Director of Library and Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society. Users must apply in writing for permission to quote, reproduce or otherwise publish manuscript materials found in this collection. For more information contact:
American Jewish Historical Society, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
The Lower East Side of Manhattan has been a hub of Jewish life since the mid-19th century, when many Eastern European Jewish immigrants settled in the area. At its peak around 1910, the majority of the Lower East Side’s 373,057 inhabitants were Jews, and the neighborhood housed dozens of synagogues.1
This collection relating to Lower East Side synagogues focuses mainly on the Stanton Street Shul. The Stanton Street Shul, also known as Congregation Bnai Jacob Anshei Brzezan or the Stanton Street Synagogue, was founded in 1913 and remains active. In 2001, the synagogue’s former rabbi, Joseph Singer, covertly arranged to sell the building to a Jesuit organization, the National Theatre Workshop of the Handicapped. The synagogue’s congregation fought against the sale, taking the case to the New York State Supreme Court, where the case was settled in the congregation’s favor.
- 1Salkin, Allen. “Fading Into History.” The New York Times. October 20, 2002.
This collection of Lower East Side synagogues focuses mainly on the Stanton Street Shul, containing records of the synagogue’s activities and the attempted sale of the building in 2001. The collection also contains photographs and newspaper articles related to Lower East Side synagogues more generally, as well as audiovisual material.
The collection is arranged into a single series: Lower East Side Synagogue Collection
Located in AJHS New York, NY
Eric Wallach donated the collection in 2017.
Audiovisual materials (one audiocassette and eleven mini-DVs) were moved to AVC 107. See Container List for more information.
- Guide to the Lower East Side Synagogues Collection, 2001-2011
- Processed by Rachel Brill
- © 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.